Aragon Castle is a Renaissance castle in Ortona, Chieti, Abruzzo.
The earliest structure was built in 1492. It was built by the Aragonese family above the original Caldora building from the fourteenth century. However, this building was built during the Anglican era in the 13th century. The same theory also suggests that Giacomo Cavuto might have fortified a fortress that already existed. A pre-existing plant underwent certain alterations and partial restorations in the 15th century.
The castle served as a fortress up until the Baglioni family purchased it to use as an aristocratic dwelling in the 17th century. Within the walls, a palace for gentiles was constructed, but it was abandoned in the 19th century. Since then time, the castle has served as a powder and workshop. During the Battle of Ortona in 1943, American and German grenades were used to attack the castle. The building exploded, spilling explosives all over the tops of the walls and sending the magnificent mansion skyrocketing. A landslide nearly completely demolished the portion of the castle that faced the sea from the tuff cliff in 1946.
It was first built in 1452. It was erected by the Aragonese dynasty atop the previous Caldora building from the fourteenth century. But that building originates from the 13th-century Angevin period. Giacomo Caldora might have improved the castle that might have already been there based on the same presumptions. A pre-existing structure underwent a few modifications and partial reconstructions in the fifteenth century. The castle served as a fortress until the Baglioni family bought it to use as a magnificent home in the 17th century. Within the walls, a noble palace was constructed, but it was abandoned in the 19th century. Since then, the castle has served as a storage facility for ammunition. German and American artillery both struck the castle in 1943 during the Battle of Ortona. The building, including the entire upper portion of the walls and the noble residence, was destroyed by gunpowder that was kept inside. A landslide nearly completely demolished the portion of the castle that faced the sea from the tuff cliff in 1946. The castle underwent repair and consolidation work beginning in 2001 after decades of disuse.
The foundation is approximately trapezoidal, with curtains on a scarp and four cylindrical corner towers, albeit only three remain now. A residential structure stood on the west side. The baron-like palace inside the fortifications of the 18th century is depicted in some early 1900s photographs after being modified by the fortification control room.
Featured image: wikimedia
Weird Italy, Guide to Unusual & Amazing Places to see in Italy. Italy’s news in English: Art, History & Facts