The Castle of Bominaco is a medieval fortification located in Bominaco, Province of L’Aquila, Abruzzo.
On the Navelli plateau, in a dominant location, the castle of Bominaco is built on top of the complex containing the church of Santa Maria Assunta and the Oratory of San Pellegrino. The current building is from the 14th century, while the previous structure belongs to the 12th century. With Pope Martin V‘s approval, the feudal lord of Bominaco, Cipriano di Iacobuccio from Forfona, rebuilt the ancient fortress after Braccio da Montone destroyed it in 1424.
The trapezoidal layout of the castle walls has squared towers at the center. The enclosure’s tallest point is guarded by a sturdy cylindrical tower. The intricate stone buildings that were formerly housed inside the enclosure may still be seen inside.
Image source: wikipedia
Lifestyle weblog about everything that happens in Italy: photography, places, people, fashion, Italian movies and books, news, and much more