We’ll keep up every effort for Regeni, Zaki – Di Maio

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Blog
  4. /
  5. What happened in Italy today
  6. /
  7. We’ll keep up every effort for...

(ANSA) – ROME, MAR 31 – Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said
Wednesday that Italy would never give up seeking the truth about
the “barbaric slaying” of Italian student Giulio Regeni in Cairo
in early 2016 and would also keep up “all efforts” to see that
Bologna University Egyptian student Patrick Zaki is released.
    In a statement to the Senate on the foreign ministry’s agenda,
Di Maio added that “at the same time it is however important to
keep open with Cairo also a channel of dialogue on the
fundamental questions for the stability of the Mediterranean,
such as for example Libya and energy security”.
    On January 25, the fifth anniversary of Regeni’s disappearance
on the Cairo metro, President Sergio Mattarella demanded a
response from Egypt over the Friuli-born student’s torture and
murder.
    The brutalised body of the Cambridge University doctoral
researcher into Egyptian street unions was found a week later,
on February 3, 2016.
    He had been tortured so badly his mother said she only
recognised him by the tip of his nose.
    Rome prosecutors have requested that four members of Egypt’s
security services face trial in relation to the case.
    Postgraduate student Zaki has been held on charges of inciting
protests in Egypt since February 7 last year. (ANSA).
   

Previous

Over-70 repeat offenders can get house arrest – top court

Homophobia bill risks causing trouble for govt says League

Next

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close